UD’s Professional development programs are offered as short courses, technical workshops, and license reviews for Professional Engineers.
Our short courses and workshops, designed to meet industry-identified needs, offer the latest techniques and technologies in your field – helping you move ahead! If you don’t see what you are seeking, contact email@example.com with your needs/suggestions.
Civil Engineering – Heavy Construction:
- Risk Assessment and Management (September 18-19, 2017): Taught by Jerry DiMaggio, P.E. (the renowned and very popular geotechnical engineering consultant/instructor) will be of interest not only to geotechnical engineers, but to all engineers.
- Mechanically Stabilized Earth Walls & Reinforced Soil Slopes (Fall 2017): Jerry DiMaggio will return to campus again in Fall 2017 to offer this 2-day course … Stay tuned for dates and more information!
- Management Essentials for Engineers & Scientists (Coming Fall 2017): Designed for current and prospective technical leaders looking to improve their business acumen and management effectiveness.
- Engineering for Efficient Railway Operations (August 16-17, 2017): Intended for Practicing Engineers, Planners and Operating Officials, this course focuses on the relationship between the engineering configuration of railway systems and operating efficiency and performance.
- Rail Problems, Rail Maintenance, and Rail Grinding (August 22-23, 2017) This highly-praised course addresses key areas of infrastructure maintenance for the rail and transit industry worldwide. It is also available as a self-paced on-line course!
- Management Essentials for the Railroad Industry (October 2017): Features leaders in the railroad industry who not only share their vast experience but lead interactive discussions designed to help entry and middle management railroad engineering personnel improve their business acumen and management effectiveness in the unique elements of this industry.
- Big Data in Railroad Maintenance Planning (December 14-15, 2017): The fourth annual “Big Data” conference features more than two dozen experts who will discuss the railroad industry’s need for effective, practical maintenance planning.
- Railroad Safety and Derailment Investigation – This online course provides excellent, information-packed practical training for railroad engineers in corporate, DOT, or commodity railroad transportation. Group Discount Option (Save $100/reg for groups of 3 or more from the same company!)
- Special on-line railroad and transit training courses taught by Dr. Allan M. Zarembski, P.E., FASME, and produced in collaboration with the Railway Tie Association (RTA). These modules are packed full of critical information for those working in the railroad industry, and have been produced so that you can absorb the information at your own pace. Earn PDHs for completion of each module, as indicated in the course descriptions. Please contact us for additional details and pricing. Special pricing is available for RTA members.
- Railroad Crossties: Engineering & Design Issues
- Timber Crosstie Degradation & Failure Modes
- Railroad Load Environment and the Engineering of Crossties
- Intro to the Function of Railroad Crossties for Non-railroad Professionals
- Intro to Railroad & Transit Systems for Non-railroad Professionals – Part 1 & Part 2
Research & Quality Control:
- Fundamentals of Vapor Deposition– a Distance-formatted, self-paced tutorial that is co-sponsored by the Society of Vacuum Coaters, and dedicated to the memory of Nathaniel H. Sugerman). Enrollment is limited to facilitate highly interactive participation. Group Discount Option – Save $50/reg for groups of 5 or more from the same company!
- Statistical Design of Experiments – a Distance-formatted, self-paced tutorial. Recorded when taught on-campus, this 2.5-day hands-on course always receives great reviews – and now it is available in self-paced, on-line format, with faculty support. Group Discount Option: Save $200/reg for groups of 3 or more from the same company.
- Statistical Process Control– This interactive, hands-on, distance version of the highly acclaimed on-campus course debuted in April 2013 with rave reviews. Enrollment is limited to facilitate interactive participation. Group Discount Option: Save $100/reg for groups of 3 or more from the same company.
- Materials Characterization Workshop – This second annual materials characterization workshop was a short course in nanofabrication, microanalysis & analytical techniques that took place at UD on August 23-24, 2016. Watch for details about upcoming materials characterization workshops!
- Patent Basics Workshop – Not currently scheduled but please let us know if you are interested in this course.
Professional Engineer (PE) Review Courses – on-campus and distance formats! We offer review courses in Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering and Chemical Engineering. Please note that we are currently updating the course content for Civil Engineering and Environmental Engineering. These newly updated courses will be available in Fall 2017.