UD’s Professional development programs are offered as short courses, technical workshops, and license reviews for Professional Engineers.
Our short courses and workshops, designed to meet industry-identified needs, offer the latest techniques and technologies in your field – helping you move ahead! If you don’t see what you are seeking, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your needs/suggestions.
Civil Engineering – Heavy Construction:
- Risk Assessment and Management (April 3-4, 2017): Taught by Jerry DiMaggio, P.E. (the renowned and very popular geotechnical engineering consultant/instructor) will be of interest not only to geotechnical engineers, but to all engineers.
- Mechanically Stabilized Earth Walls & Reinforced Soil Slopes (Fall 2017): Jerry DiMaggio will return to campus again in Fall 2017 to offer this 2-day course … Stay tuned for dates and more information!
- Management Essentials for Engineers & Scientists (April 24 – 27, 2017): Designed for current and prospective technical leaders looking to improve their business acumen and management effectiveness.
- Management Essentials for the Railroad Industry (March 20-24, 2017): Features leaders in the railroad industry who not only share their vast experience but lead interactive discussions designed to help entry and middle management railroad engineering personnel improve their business acumen and management effectiveness in the unique elements of this industry. REGISTER TODAY!
- Rail Problems, Rail Maintenance, and Rail Grinding –
This highly-praised course was first offered in October 2012 and is now available on-line as a self-paced on-line course!
- Railroad Safety and Derailment Investigation – Let us know your interest in this ON-LINE FORMATTED professional development course. Excellent, information-packed practical training for railroad engineers in corporate, DOT, or commodity railroad transportation Group Discount Option (Save $100/reg for groups of 3 or more from the same company!)
- Special on-line railroad and transit training courses taught by Dr. Allan M. Zarembski, P.E., FASME, and produced in collaboration with the Railway Tie Association (RTA). These modules are packed full of critical information for those working in the railroad industry, and have been produced so that you can absorb the information at your own pace. Earn PDHs for completion of each module, as indicated in the course descriptions. (Special pricing for RTA members. Upon receipt of your RTA Course Registration Form, RTA will verify that your membership is up-to-date so that you can take advantage of the special reduced fee for RTA members.)
- Railroad Crossties: Engineering & Design Issues
- Timber Crosstie Degradation & Failure Modes
- Railroad Load Environment and the Engineering of Crossties
- Intro to the Function of Railroad Crossties for Non-railroad Professionals
- Intro to Railroad & Transit Systems for Non-railroad Professionals – Part 1 & Part 2
- Note: Additional courses are being designed for various aspects of railroad engineering! Keep checking back to this listing … and … in the meantime, check out this Here & Now interview of Allan Zarembski regarding railroad grade crossings and this interview of Allan Zarembski about “Safety on our freight and commuter railroad tracks” that took place on NPR radio on 3/18/15.
Research & Quality Control:
- Fundamentals of Vapor Deposition– a Distance-formatted, self-paced tutorial that is co-sponsored by the Society of Vacuum Coaters, and dedicated to the memory of Nathaniel H. Sugerman). Enrollment is limited to facilitate highly interactive participation. Group Discount Option – Save $50/reg for groups of 5 or more from the same company!
- Statistical Design of Experiments – a Distance-formatted, self-paced tutorial. Recorded when taught on-campus, this 2.5-day hands-on course always receives great reviews – and now it is available in self-paced, on-line format, with faculty support. Group Discount Option: Save $200/reg for groups of 3 or more from the same company. Let us know your interest. (See the course web page for more details.)
- Statistical Process Control– Let us know your interest in this ON-LINE FORMATTED professional development course.- This interactive, hands-on, distance version of the highly acclaimed on-campus course debuted in April 2013 with rave reviews. Enrollment is limited to facilitate interactive participation. Group Discount Option: Save $100/reg for groups of 3 or more from the same company.
- Materials Characterization Workshop – This second annual materials characterization workshop was a short course in nanofabrication, microanalysis & analytical techniques that took place at UD on August 23-24, 2016. Watch for details about upcoming materials characterization workshops!
- Patent Basics Workshop -If you and your colleagues are interested in this course, let us know and we will make every effort to offer it again – sooner, rather than later!
Professional Engineer (PE) Review Courses – on-campus and distance formats! We offer review courses in Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering and Chemical Engineering. Please note that we are currently updating the course content for Civil Engineering and Environmental Engineering. These newly updated courses will be available in Fall 2017.